Connect with us

Published

on

The General Hospital, Apapa, Lagos State, became a centre of public attention on Thursday as residents, motorcycle riders and passersby thronged the facility to catch a glimpse of three primary school pupils, who were allegedly defiled by a security guard.

The three victims, identified simply as Mistura, Yinka and Mary, had reportedly been admitted to the hospital for medical tests after the 60-year-old Togolese, Sabi Burno, was allegedly caught defiling 11-year-old Mistura in a container on Ibikunle Akintoye Street.

While Mistura and Yinka attend Methodist Primary School, Randle, Apapa, Mary is a pupil of United Christian Primary School. The two schools are in the same community.

The Togolese’s container-apartment is on an abandoned plot of land. The victims pass through the place to go to school every morning.


Punch Metro learnt that Mistura, who lives with her grandmother, had, while going to school on Thursday, gone into the container around 8am.

A landlord, whose house is beside the abandoned land, said he had observed her loitering in front of the container.

He said, “A hotel was on that land before it was demolished. The new owner asked the Togolese to guard it. The man put a container on the land, where he sleeps.

“He has been taking advantage of the girls since he got there about a year ago and I think no one suspected anything.

“But this morning, around 8am, I was in my house when I saw this girl, who was supposed to be in school, loitering in front of the container. She was in her school uniform.

“Not up to three minutes, the Togolese asked the girl to go in, while pretending to be sweeping. Within a few minutes, he also went in and shut the door.”

The landlord, who did not want to be identified, said he rushed to Methodist Primary School to report the incident.

Punch Metro learnt that the school’s head teacher sent a teacher with the landlord to the scene.

Punch correspondent was told that Burno was caught in the act and was held by the teacher.

“A crowd quickly gathered and I alerted policemen from the Apapa Police Station, who responded swiftly. The girl was taken to her school and some female teachers checked her private parts and found semen,” the landlord added.

Punch Metro learnt that during interrogation, Mistura confessed that it was not the first time that the security guard slept with her.

She was said to have mentioned the names of her two friends whom the Togolese had been sexually assaulting as well.

Teachers at the school reportedly invited Yinka and Mary for questioning, and they confessed that the suspect had been defiling them as well.

“Yinka said the man had slept with her for more than 10 times. The other girl said he had slept with her twice,” the landlord said.

Punch correspondent, who visited the general hospital where the victims were undergoing treatment, met Mistura’s grandmother and other relatives.

She explained that the primary five pupil’s mother died while she was an infant, adding that the father’s whereabouts was unknown.

“I took her as my own child and I never knew she was being defiled. She goes to school in the morning and returns in the afternoon after which she comes to my shop to assist me. We were still together till 11pm yesterday (Wednesday). I never suspected anything. I gave this girl good training. I am disappointed,” she said.

A classmate of Mistura and Yinka told Punch Metro that the two girls always flaunted money in the classroom.

He said, “One day, Mistura showed me N1,200 and when I asked her where she got it, she became quiet. Yinka sometimes bring N500 to class. I don’t know where they get their money. They are friends. But they always come late to school.”

A teacher at Methodist Primary School, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the incident.

She said the pupils were noted for lateness, adding that the authorities did not suspect such a thing was going on.

“But the incident happened outside the school; it has nothing to do with the school,” she said.

 Punch Metro learnt that some officials in the education district prevented policemen from the Apapa division from taking the suspect away.

“We got there almost immediately, but a woman said we should leave the matter because it involves schools. We waited patiently, but she insisted that they would not hand over the suspect to us, so we
left them,” a policemen said.

A source said Burno, while denying the allegations, claimed he was impotent, adding that it was the reason his wife left him.

At the General Hospital, Apapa, Punch correspondent was told that the medical director was not around.

As of the time of filing this report, efforts to get a reaction from the state Ministry of Health, were abortive.

The Director of the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team, Lola Vivour-Adeniyi, said the head teacher of the Methodist school informed the agency about Mistura’s case.

She said, “The head teacher informed us and we advised that she should take the child to a primary health care centre, where she can receive proper sexual assault treatment. We are also liaising with the police and have requested a duplicate case file for the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Olarinde Famous-Cole, said the Togolese denied defiling the pupils.

He said, “The man said he did not have sexual intercourse with them, but he may have touched them indecently. Nobody has been there to prove whether it is true or not. There is currently an examination being done for all those involved. The suspect is in police custody and we are trying to establish a case of either child abuse or indecent assault based on the girls’ statements.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Nigeria Breweries Sacks 380 As Dollar Rate Bites Hard 

Published

on

NB Plc’s workforce has been reduced by 380 workers as the brewer struggled with the loss induced by surging cost and the naira floating policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria last year.

 

NB joined brewery firms like International Breweries Plc which declared N59.5bn net loss in 2023 and Champions Breweries which is also struggling.

 

In 2023, breweries in Nigeria struggled with the high cost of operations and sourcing expensive foreign exchange to purchase raw materials for their beer and soft drink business.

 

Nigerian Breweries audited financial statement results for 2023 show that their desired destination of sustained profitability is still a long way off.

 

The brewery company which is the largest listed beer maker on the Nigerian Exchange Limited posted a revenue growth of 9 per cent from N550.5bn in 2022 to N599.5bn by the end of 2023.

 

The company recorded an unimpressively yearly loss which is huge by the standards of a firm whose business model is based on spending heavily to keep rivals out of the picture.

 

From a profit of N13.2bn in 2022, the company saw a scourging loss of N106.3bn driven principally by naira scarcity and the naira devaluation, which officially began on 14 June, 2023.

 

The company was able to curtail personnel expenses, which rose marginally from N51.3bn in the preceding year to N55.5bn in 2023 but was roped with N36.4bn finance cost which surged from N8.4bn in 2022.

 

Nigerian Breweries has now lost N153.3bn on foreign exchange transactions spiking from the N26.3bn loss in 2022.

 

The company paid more deposits for imports of N16.2bn up from N6.9bn in 2022, representing naira deposits for foreign currencies purchased to fund letters of credit and forwards, as well as futures.

 

The N16.2bn is related to imported raw materials, spare parts, and machinery.

 

About 99 per cent of the company’s products were sold in Nigeria while only N335.46bn were export proceeds, making it difficult for them to source forex for imports of raw materials.

 

By the end of the year, staff strength of Nigerian Breweries dropped by 380 from 2,685 in 2022 to 2,305 workers.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Harmony Gardens MD, Saheed Mosadoluwa Refutes Smear Campaign, Clarifies Relationship with Oba Awujale

Published

on

Renowned real estate developer, Hon. Saheed Mosadoluwa also Known as Mr Ibile, who is currently a victim of an ongoing online defamatory campaigns and series of frivolous petitions, has refuted claims of land grabbing, and clarified his relationship with the revered Awujale of Ijebu Land, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, the Ogbagba II.

 

Mr. Ibile, the Managing Director of Harmony Gardens and Estate Development Ltd, addressed accusations during a press meeting on Tuesday, emphasizing his respect for the respected traditional ruler who he referred to as his grandfather, and his desire for peaceful resolution.

 

Ibile vehemently denied recent allegations, attributing them to a smear campaign orchestrated by his detractors, led by alleged landgrabbers’ lawyer, whom he described as a “defamatory lawyer.” engaged by Babatunde Olalere Gbadamosi and an accused renowned landgrabber, Kazeem Salami, a.k.a All Rounder Ajagungbale, who he claims to have sponsored 39 petitions orchestrated by these individuals, all of which he refuted.

 

“They keep recycling the same allegations and using the media to manipulate law enforcement agencies and authorities,” Ibile stated.

 

Addressing the specific claims of land disputes with the Awujale, Ibile clarified that “the monarch expressed interest in a portion of the disputed Eyin Osa land, and he readily offered it since the same people that sold to him confirmed that, they gave the monarch 8 hectares at the same land, and that bestow privilege to Kazeem Salami to leverage on the oba’s influence through the Kakanfo to Awujale to instigate the king’s influence against Ibile for his landgrabbing interest, but no matter how the case may be, the Kabiyesi Awujale is the owner of Saheed Ibile and whatever belong to Saheed”.

 

In showcasing his respect for the revered figure. He denounced the misuse of the Awujale’s name by his adversaries in the ongoing duplication and frivolous petitions, proceedings, and media narratives.

 

“It’s even funny that anyone would think I’d be dragging land with a man of such stature. The Awujale is my father and role model being a sign of customary authority who remain the face and image of the Yoruba land.,” Ibile remarked.

 

“I had left the issues for our fathers: The Oloja of Epe in person of Oba Kamoru Animashaun and HRH. OBA Olusegun Awokoya to fully resolve whatever to wherever they want, and handover our company’s 94 hectares Survey plan investment within the Eyin Osa ressetlement land, out of what link our father,Oba Awujale or that of Baba Rafiu Jafojo to our company since they are the consenting authority of the ressetlement land”, he said.

 

Amidst the accusations, Ibile called for a transparent investigation. He urged the Inspector General of Police to establish special panel enquiries in camera to probe the allegations and expose the “real evil-doers” in Ibeju-Lekki/Epe area. “I am still not having any issues with the way police detaining me to please my detractors, trying to hide under the Awujale’s influence not because of concrete investigations but because the new petitions are duplication of what has been investigated before and charge to different courts”, Ibile added.

 

He expressed confidence in his innocence and called for justice for all parties involved, including those accusing him of landgrabbing, kidnapping and willful destructions to properties and himself, a victim of alleged cyberstalking, libel, demarketing and defamation.

Continue Reading

Trending News